- Why Use an Advocate? Due to the nature of the education business, the process can often feel adversarial. The job of creating a legally binding contract with a professional, respectful, and productive team is plagued with obstacles. The best interest of the student often gets buried under the school personalities, emotion filled parents, students in crises, and ever changing procedures. Having an advocate on your side of the table can level the playing field so the student’s needs can be the focus.
- How much does this cost? We offer a free initial consultation over zoom before starting a new contract. Our rates are from $45 to $125 per hour depending on the advocate and services requested.
- Do you work on a sliding scale? Yes, we all offer a half price rate to a minimum of 20% of our clients. Contact us for more information to see what reduced rate options we have available..
- When do I use an Attorney or Mediator instead of an Advocate? Many people say this is the $64,000 question … (or more like a $20,000 retainer) Lawyers are outstanding resources when you need assistance with formal Due Process procedures or with serious legal implications addressing special education services. I am happy to refer you to excellent attorneys if and when you should need one. My experience has been that when an attorney enters the room, you are moving into more adversarial territory. My role is to engage in conversation with all school personnel and members of the student’s educational team. I am seeking agreements and resolutions to facilitate improved communication between families and schools. Attorneys are best in legal matters requiring short-term solutions to intensive conflict; educational advocacy is for the long-haul and supports collaboration with a purpose driven perspective.
- Can you help to get my child an Out Of District Placement? We do have experience in finding OOD placements for children. For some children OOD is the most appropriate place for them to learn for others an appropriate placement is full inclusion. We will work with you to find the right experts to identify the correct learning environment and then advocate for your child for that placement.
- Why Elsbridge? Elsbridge is a train station in Marky’s much loved series Thomas The Tank Engine.